Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Touch of the Blues...er Army Greens

WOW! It's been a hard, taxing and long morning/day. It started out with the "hurry-ups" and the "we're going to be lates." It ended with a goodbye and a lot of tears.

I can't describe the feeling of sending your child into one of the most dangerous places on earth. I can't begin to help anyone who hasn't had this experience to understand it. It's not possible. All I can tell you is it's scary, sad, and well, to be honest, a bit exciting!

Truly, I am excited for Katie. She will see a part of the world I never will. She will meet people, experience things and do things I never will. That old Army motto of "Be All That You Can Be" is bouncing around in my head as I think of all the great things that are in store for my little girl--the little girl who is a married woman and not so little anymore. I am thinking of the old commercials about adventure and seeing places. It's true and she will have spectacular stories to share. I can't wait to hear them.

And though she's gone and my heart hurts from missing her and from the natural worry of motherhood, I know, inexplicably, that she will be fine. I know that this "adventure" is going to make her into an incredibly stronger and more courageous woman. I am proud of my daughter, my son and my son-in-law. All three of them are incredible Soldiers who amaze me. I am grateful for them.


Can a heart be more full? Probably, but mine is bursting with pride from these three young people. And in a year, it will be a sweet reunion for all of us. In a short year, we will all have each other again.

No comments: